You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Big Otter Creek: Catfish 101, and other species?
06-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Big Otter Creek: Catfish 101, and other species?
So my friend acquired a trailer in a campground on Big Otter Creek between Port Burwell and Vienna. He's not really an angler but has a license and wants to try, with my help. I'm going there for the first time this weekend. So I have a two-part question:

#1, if anyone knows, what species are abundant there? I've gathered there are trout/salmon runs during the spawn, and resident catfish (channels I'm assuming?) that stay all summer? Any other game fishes?

#2, assuming I'm right about the channel cats, that's probably what we'll be trying for this weekend. And I have absolutely zero experience even trying for them, so I need a little Catfish 101. I've seen a lot of contradictory info online about best techniques, but I know there are people on this forum who target channel cats from shore in moderately-flowing southwestern Ontario rivers, which is exactly what we're doing, so I'm hoping for tips on how to do it (with light, fairly generalized spinning gear). Should I thread the line through a bell sinker and let it sit on bottom? Or better to cast and let it drift under a bobber? What time of day is best? What river/bank features am I looking for? And what are the most reliable baits that don't involve complicated recipes or obscure products?

I'm thinking of using worms, chicken livers, store-bought frozen smelt, could also use salted minnows though I haven't heard of that as kitty bait.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2016, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 12:48 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: Big Otter Creek: Catfish 101, and other species?
(06-07-2016 08:25 AM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  So my friend acquired a trailer in a campground on Big Otter Creek between Port Burwell and Vienna. He's not really an angler but has a license and wants to try, with my help. I'm going there for the first time this weekend. So I have a two-part question:

#1, if anyone knows, what species are abundant there? I've gathered there are trout/salmon runs during the spawn, and resident catfish (channels I'm assuming?) that stay all summer? Any other game fishes?

#2, assuming I'm right about the channel cats, that's probably what we'll be trying for this weekend. And I have absolutely zero experience even trying for them, so I need a little Catfish 101. I've seen a lot of contradictory info online about best techniques, but I know there are people on this forum who target channel cats from shore in moderately-flowing southwestern Ontario rivers, which is exactly what we're doing, so I'm hoping for tips on how to do it (with light, fairly generalized spinning gear). Should I thread the line through a bell sinker and let it sit on bottom? Or better to cast and let it drift under a bobber? What time of day is best? What river/bank features am I looking for? And what are the most reliable baits that don't involve complicated recipes or obscure products?

I'm thinking of using worms, chicken livers, store-bought frozen smelt, could also use salted minnows though I haven't heard of that as kitty bait.

Hi,

I have fished that creek at its mouth in Port Burwell, and did catch a small 2 pound channel cat while targeting perch. As such I’d say there are channel cats in the creek upstream......... size??

I would also mention that Big Otter Creek is mentioned in the MNR's Atlas re Channel Cats as having the species.

From what I could see , at that location, Big Otter Creek is fairly muddy with low visibility. I cannot comment on its clarity farther upstream near Vienna.

Here’s my thoughts ........& a quick 101 on bait fishing Channel Cats................ hope this helps:

Worms, chicken livers, and frozen freshwater smelt would all work.

However worms may attract other small annoying species. Livers are soft and difficult to keep on the hook. Frozen smelt is expensive and not “native”. I would recommend cut white sucker (or river chub, or common shiner) for increased attraction coming from a smell and taste that the channel cats will recognize. Many of the larger bait shops carry frozen cut (or whole) white sucker.

Any equipment would work........... cats are NOT line or hardware shy at all. Line type and weight don’t matter. I use medium light mostly.......... but will step it up in “big” waters like Dunnville, .............or go to ultra light for a real good tussle.......

Slip sinker rigs using bells or eggs work great, but if there is minimal current then pinch-ons would work. If the water is wow snaggy you may wish to consider using a three way swivel with sacrificial lighter test droppers to the hook and sinkers.

Use circle hooks. 2/0 or larger. Leave the hook point exposed (not buried in the bait). Other styles/sizes of hooks would work, but larger circles will increase lip hooks ups while minimizing mortal wound ”gut” hooking.

The cats will hold in the “deeper” runs, pools, outside corners. Cast to the leading upstream edge of these structures – so the smell washes downstream to the fish and attracts them.

Use just enough weight to hold your bait stationary on bottom and provide casting distance help. The fish will come to your bait following the scent/taste trail. Use a rod holder or forked stick.

You may see a fish break the surface as it nears your baits location as it searches. You may also see a few light twitches in your line as the fish brushes your line as it circles about the bait. There is no such thing as a light nibble......... when they decide your bait is food they will engulf it aggressively.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
Alvin123 (05-29-2017), observer135 (08-14-2016), ray6591 (06-14-2016), tweedwolfscream (06-07-2016)
06-07-2016, 12:52 PM
OT pretty much summed it up. I can add that from my last experience, Yamamoto panfish baits worked remarkably well (see the "Third times a charm" thread.) I can also say that I caught plenty last year using a worm under a float. Channel cats don't seem to be the bottom-huggers you would think. The fight they put up, even the small ones, is amazing.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Fossil Fish for this post:
tweedwolfscream (06-07-2016)
06-07-2016, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 12:59 PM by MuskieBait.)
OT has got it covered. Nothing else for me to add except a x2. I fish them the same way if I want Channel Catfish.

Have heard other animal baits...like chicken kidney and beef heart as bait. Both of these are very tough and will stay on the hook. But to be honest, fresh cut minnow is just as good if not better.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
06-07-2016, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 04:01 PM by OldTimer.)
I finally found my copy of the MNR Channel Cat Atlas:

.pdf  stel02_198445 - MNR Channel Catfish Atlas.pdf (Size: 133.5 KB / Downloads: 23)

And..... on the best time of day to fish = Low light.

And in my experience (and I have tried all times of day) - pitch black is not a major league bunch better for channel cats.

I've actually found early morning the best. (Sunrise + 2 to 3 hours)

High noon and bright afternoons are not recommended if you have a choice, but they will hit all day.........

However..........For bullheads.................. night time rules.

Cheers,

OldTimer

ps ......... great burgers and fries at Port Burwell beach here:

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
06-07-2016, 10:46 PM
Thanks gang! Exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Just a couple of follow up questions:

- If I'm using a rod holder, is it better to set the drag really loose so that the cat can run with it obliviously until I sneak up and set the hook, or tighter so that it hooks itself when it hits the bait?

- If I'm fishing at low light times, is it good to a glow-in-the-dark jighead or spinner blade on the terminal tackle, or are they so scent-focused it doesn't matter?

Also,
(06-07-2016 12:37 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Frozen smelt is expensive and not “native”.
If by not native you mean not what the cats are used to encountering, I'm confused... aren't there smelt in Lake Erie that would run up local creeks like this one?

Anyway smelt do have an extra advantage... if you give up on catching anything on them, you can fry them up as an appetizer. Wouldn't be the first time.
06-08-2016, 06:14 AM
I may open my bail if having a snack or coffee............ other than that they'll hook themselves.............. gotta be quick getting to the rod (smile)

Still fishing with bait requires no added "glow". Fishing with lures is another topic.

Smelt are not a full time resident of your selected venue, hence not a familiar smell or meal for the resident channel cats.

See you on the river.
tweedwolfscream (06-09-2016)
06-08-2016, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2016 09:03 AM by tweedwolfscream.)
Great, thanks. Aside from never having gone after cats I've never really done any still fishing except on the ice, hence the basic questions about drag etc. I'll set it tight.

And I might probably experiment with a few baits... I like your argument for cut sucker but it's the one thing that I'm not sure if or where I'll be able to acquire this weekend, as opposed to chicken livers and smelt that I can pick up at the grocery store, or worms that my fridge is already full of.

I'm more after numbers than size, if that makes a difference, since being new to this the big hope is to catch a number greater than zero.
06-08-2016, 11:41 AM
If you are after numbers, use smaller pieces of bait. 1" chunk is plenty if you are using smelt. If you are getting picked up but kept missing fish, go even smaller.

Worms are great for smaller Channel Catfish. Just 1/3 of a nightcrawler on a #8 hook is often enough.

You don't necessarily need to buy bait. If there is a clear little creek in the area, you can catch a number of minnows on #14 hook. But of course, that requires a bit of exploring and cutting back on your own fishing time. If you know a spot near home to catch a few Common Shiner or Creek Chub, that's even better. All you really need a half dozen of them to cut up for the day.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
06-08-2016, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2016 06:29 AM by OldTimer.)
If you end up getting the "Cat fever" ........this may help going forward:

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...ait-outing

Cheers,

OldTimer

Edit: a last bit of advice: check your bait every 15 minutes or so to make sure it hasn't snagged something, or ended up under bottom debris, or become hidden in weeds. If it looks washed out or frazzled - change it. After checking - try to cast back to the same general area to keep the scent trail leading to one location.

See you on the river.