You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Finding spots with Google Maps
07-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Finding spots with Google Maps
I hang out on quite a few boards, and one of the common things I've noticed seems to be people asking about fishing spots in certain areas, but not knowing how to search themselves. Here's how I've managed to find a number of good places without leaving the comfort of home.

Head to Google maps, and look for likely areas. I'll use a well-known place as an example:

The area in the red circle looks promising

[Image: Googlemap1_zps6d995d8b.jpg]

Left click on the yellow human icon and drag it over the map. If the road near the prospective spot is highlighted, you can take a closer look

[Image: Googlemap2_zps53512e5c.jpg]

Switch to satellite view and zoom in. Looks like there's a laneway or launch ramp there. (You could skip this step and go straight to the next one)

[Image: Googlesatellite1_zps5f321bf4.jpg]

Drag the icon to that spot, let go of the left button...

[Image: Googlesatellite2_zpsfcc29372.jpg]

...And you will get a street level view of the spot. Yes, looks like a safe parking area

[Image: Streetview_zps3bce5112.jpg]

Zoom back out of the street view, right click on the exact spot, and select 'What's here?'

[Image: Whatshere1_zps19030c8c.jpg]

You will now have the GPS coordinates. Enter those on your GPS and go for a drive. Don't forget your fishing gear!

[Image: Whatshere2_zps80a12c93.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Dave Bailey for this post:
ST_ShoreFisher (07-23-2014)
07-19-2014, 11:13 AM
RE: Finding spots with Google Maps
You gotta love Google maps and their street view. This is how I look for fishing spots too. Sometimes, you can even see people fishing there.
07-19-2014, 11:59 PM
Great idea!
07-23-2014, 05:25 PM
I will add this to my list and create a video for my youtube channel. youtube.com/wheretofish
07-26-2014, 07:49 PM
This is how I do it too. Great way to save gas instead of just driving around aimlessly Smile
07-26-2014, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2014 10:01 PM by MuskieBait.)
Yes, this is how I've been able to find places to fish...as close as Toronto, and as far as Greece, Malaysia and Australia.

But the premise is still the same...whether it is paper maps vs. Mapquest vs. Google Earth (+ Streetview). Spent time to look at maps at home, put in the effort to narrow down some potential areas base on some special characteristics of the area, then go and check them out with good ole footwork.

Yes, you can save a little bit of time and gas if you really use Streetview effectively. But you'll still spend a lot in gas checking spots out because not all of them are fruitful even with your best efforts. Sometimes you'll see a spot on GoogleMap that looks great, but the picture was taken in spring when the water is high and the weeds are absent...but when you actually fish the same spot in the summer, the water is low and the area is weed choked. So yes...you can still get skunked. But by doing so, you also learn when to go and when not to go for a particular spot.

When Michael and I were looking for a location to fish for Rudd, I mapped out 6 locations over a stretch of 30km. Yes, that's quite a bit to cover...and we only found one fruitful spot. But that's what separate dedicated, successful anglers vs. the average weekend anglers. You need to put in that time and energy if you want to do well.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2014, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 12:31 AM by ifish.)
This is brilliant! Never thought of this................geez I feel stupid or maybe I am just old...... well according to my daughters, I am not old I am vintage......loll. Seriously, thanks so much! I had never even thought of this. I will definitely be doing this now!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ifish for this post:
maniacchen (09-02-2016)