You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

looking for newbie friendly spots!!
05-21-2014, 01:35 PM
looking for newbie friendly spots!!
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to fishing but so far have really been enjoying it. I have tried a couple of spots so far, most notably being the Toronto islands and heart lake conservation area. Didn't have a whole lot of luck in either spot so was hoping for some of the "super secret hotspots", well not really lol just some of the spots that are beginner friendly and where a new angler wouldn't have much difficulty catching a few small fish. Type of fish doesn't matter really, only the difficulty for now so i can learn a few things while catching some fish and eventually move up to the harder/bigger fish.

Been trying to do some reading around and think I got my mind set on going up to Lake Simcoe for some Jumbo Perch fishing. Found a few posts/reports that seem to have some good results without a whole lot of difficulty. Was probably just going to head to cook's bay and try that out but am open to suggestions also Smile.

Also any other newbie friendly spots that anyone would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

*Don't have a boat but would be willing to rent one once in awhile to get some better results but being so new I think time/money is better spent learning for now.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2014, 02:03 PM
RE: looking for newbie friendly spots!!
Glen Haffy Trout Ponds. $12.50. Use worms and roe. Fun times to be had catching fish!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Toasty for this post:
Twinstryk (05-22-2014)
05-21-2014, 02:06 PM
The Islands is good. As water temperature increases, there will be more perch and sunfish around. Even now there are some bass already (out of season at the moment) and I've seen a few juvenile bass around. Toward June, you can also find more Brown Bullheads in shallow water.

High Park used to be great for sunfish. Not sure now after the fish kill last year.

The lakeshore area is good too. Similar composition of fish species that you can find on the Islands.

The same issue exist for any hotspot though. Fish use different areas throughout the year. This is seasonal movement of fish. Some areas may be good for a few weeks only each year. After that, the fish would move off to other areas. In order to have more success, it is important to move around and fish with a mobile approach. Talk to other anglers that are out fishing to determine where and how they are having success at any particular time of the year. Keep a good record of where you saw fish (even if you don't catch them) and where you or others had success. This way you'll eventually figure out the puzzle.

For example, 2 weeks ago I was finding feeding carp at this particular spot on the Islands. Last weekend, I found many of the fish had moved out of the area and the remaining fish were inactive. A hotspot is only hot for a certain amount of time and that period is often very short. You just have to fish and learn the various areas that you fish often and determine when each little location "turns on" at what time of year or day.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
Twinstryk (05-22-2014)
05-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the info MuskieBait, so far the places that I have been I have asked the other anglers where/what they use and they have been extremely helpful, seems like a very friendly and helpful community.

As for the islands, we went and were trying for pike, without much luck. We did see a few decent size Karp, but my friend said he forgot the bait he had for them at home. Only my 2nd time out in a LONG time so I was just "tagging" along and using his spare rod for now.

My friend also said he does go to Lakeshore and has had decent luck with Karp and were planning on going there also, but that's fairly close as we live Downtown Toronto pretty much and were planning on getting away from city this weekend so were thinking Lake Simcoe.

Something he doesn't do and never occurred to me to do is get maps of the lakes and mark on them where we catch fish and stuff like that for future reference.

Also Thanks Toasty will have to look into that place as well. =)
05-21-2014, 09:26 PM
If you want to go to Simcoe for Perch try Pefferlaw River near the mouth, I go there every year for perch, live minnows on a hook do the trick.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Giuga10 for this post:
Twinstryk (05-22-2014)
05-21-2014, 09:30 PM
(05-21-2014 09:26 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  If you want to go to Simcoe for Perch try Pefferlaw River near the mouth, I go there every year for perch, live minnows on a hook do the trick.

If the other spots we have planned out don't give us much will try this spot out too, thanks for the info.
05-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Not sure, but I don't think there is a shore spot at the mouth of the Pefferlaw. I hope I'm wrong, as that's only 15 minutes away from me, but I think that's a spot for boaters only. Same for Cook's Bay. I know of no shore access on the east side except for the canals in Keswick.
05-22-2014, 02:53 PM
(05-22-2014 12:50 PM)Fossil Fish Wrote:  Not sure, but I don't think there is a shore spot at the mouth of the Pefferlaw. I hope I'm wrong, as that's only 15 minutes away from me, but I think that's a spot for boaters only. Same for Cook's Bay. I know of no shore access on the east side except for the canals in Keswick.

Ya, seems not many if any good spots to shore fish for Cook's bay. Think we are going to try Holland river/Canal road area. Only really have google maps street view to judge by, but looks like that area will be good for shore fishing, maybe we break down and rent a boat to see how it is in cook's bay but would like to avoid that is possible.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys Smile
05-22-2014, 02:56 PM
You'll get plenty of perch/sunfish there, with a chance at a bullhead or small pike
05-22-2014, 06:51 PM
(05-22-2014 12:50 PM)Fossil Fish Wrote:  Not sure, but I don't think there is a shore spot at the mouth of the Pefferlaw. I hope I'm wrong, as that's only 15 minutes away from me, but I think that's a spot for boaters only. Same for Cook's Bay. I know of no shore access on the east side except for the canals in Keswick.

Pefferlaw is actually very accessible, it is used as a boat canal but is also open for fishing, I typically fish beside the restaurant at the mouth or down the river a bit further by the bridge at the other restaurant (don't know the names of the restaurants). Early and late in the season are the best because the traffic is minimal, but I've fished it at peak times, just have to be mindful of the boater coming through.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Giuga10 for this post:
shaikhzees (06-25-2014)