You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

$30 Mitchell Avocet II Silver Spinning Combo Review
08-28-2012, 05:44 PM
RE: $30 Mitchell Avocet II Silver Spinning Combo Review
(08-27-2012 08:33 PM)BCLT Wrote:  with the bait runner feature, you dont ever have to worry about the drag slipping and your rod going in the drink!

Yeah, Ken was telling me about the convenience of the bait runner feature.

That's strange about the 3-piece spool, I wonder why they designed it like that Confused.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2012, 10:30 PM
I just started using a baitrunner reel this season. It is nice for keeping your rod from going into the lake when a big fish hits, but I also found it took a little getting used to, since I would forget to turn it off and would end up with a tangle when I picked up the rod after a hit!
Find all posts by this user
09-21-2012, 06:58 PM
(08-27-2012 08:33 PM)BCLT Wrote:  ......you guys may want to look at the Diawa Regals...........great reels for the money,

I own a Daiwa Regal reel, bought it for $25 at BPS 6 years ago, before all items gotten expensive then. Great customer service at Daiwa, after breaking my bail spring 2 years ago, they sent me part stuff for free. Though the reel claimed to have 10 bearings and had used it to land llots of big Salmon and Carp fish. The drag sticks at times, was not as smooth as my Shimano symetre reel. I have sanded and tried to make the metal and other washer smoother this season by experimenting with different washer leather material or grease. Way smoother now but still lags the smoothness of symetre.

I also notice the factory washer on my Daiwa newer spare spool and my regular spool were somewhat warp, needs to be sanded down to make the drag smoother. Symetre uses Felt washer, my Regal use some kind of black flexible graphite like material.

Not sure if the newer models have improve. Mass produce washer and reel body are not always level.

I always feel Shimano line of reel are way balance and smooth regardless of the number of bearings. I own 8 shimano reel from sienna, sonora, sedona to 5 other Symetre alone. Okuma has good drag system as well.
09-21-2012, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2012 01:18 PM by MuskieBait.)
(09-21-2012 06:58 PM)fishfight Wrote:  
(08-27-2012 08:33 PM)BCLT Wrote:  ......you guys may want to look at the Diawa Regals...........great reels for the money,

I own a Daiwa Regal reel, bought it for $25 at BPS 6 years ago, before all items gotten expensive then. Great customer service at Daiwa, after breaking my bail spring 2 years ago, they sent me part stuff for free. Though the reel claimed to have 10 bearings and had used it to land llots of big Salmon and Carp fish. The drag sticks at times, was not as smooth as my Shimano symetre reel. I have sanded and tried to make the metal and other washer smoother this season by experimenting with different washer leather material or grease. Way smoother now but still lags the smoothness of symetre.

I also notice the factory washer on my Daiwa newer spare spool and my regular spool were somewhat warp, needs to be sanded down to make the drag smoother. Symetre uses Felt washer, my Regal use some kind of black flexible graphite like material.

Not sure if the newer models have improve. Mass produce washer and reel body are not always level.

I always feel Shimano line of reel are way balance and smooth regardless of the number of bearings. I own 8 shimano reel from sienna, sonora, sedona to 5 other Symetre alone. Okuma has good drag system as well.

Shimano Symetre = $100

Daiwa Regal = $25

That's a big difference...you have to compare reels at the same price point. Tongue

I mean, why don't we compare a Shimano Stella SW to a Shimano Symetre? Let's try dunking that Symetre into saltwater and fish for 200lb yellowfin tuna and see if it compares to the Stella? They are two very different grade reel, just like comparing the Symetre with the Regal.

I do agree that the Regal is a little bit lacking at times...but you can't expect much from a $25 reel. Reels in the $40 range have a little more to expect from.

**EDIT - the Daiwa Regal Xi is a whole different animal from the Daiwa Regal BRi's...the latter baitrunner is a much better reel...just want to clarify.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Its not a bad rod/reel combo at all and for the price you can't really go wrong. I have the Avocet II as well as the first one Avocet. I use them both regularly for spinning for bass, pike and walleye.
05-02-2013, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 04:15 PM by onwind.)
Yesterday I bought a Avocet IV Gold 7‘ Medium Combo from Sail outdoors for 49.99 dollars including the tax. it feels good overall. My only concern is the reel size is 2000 and the capacity is 8/120, I am wondering whether it's enough for a carp or a pike or even a trout.
05-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Should very easily handle fish under 5 pounds.
Should handle fish under 10 pounds with a bit of room to fight.
and really really........... if you have lots of room to play the fish in.......... and time is not important to you - it'll wup even bigger fish.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
onwind (05-02-2013)
05-02-2013, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 04:10 PM by onwind.)
so I decided to go with 6lb test line which makes me more room, another question: where can I buy a spare spool of this reel?

(05-02-2013 02:48 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Should very easily handle fish under 5 pounds.
Should handle fish under 10 pounds with a bit of room to fight.
and really really........... if you have lots of room to play the fish in.......... and time is not important to you - it'll wup even bigger fish.
05-02-2013, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 11:12 PM by MuskieBait.)
6lb is okay...but a little light if you hook up to a 10lb+ carp.

120 yards of 8lb is plenty for most freshwater situation. If you're fishing trout in rivers, you hardly ever need 50 yards as long as you have waders to chase them when necessary. Pike don't usually pull out a lot of line. They just make a few determined runs...that's about it.

Salmon at the river mouth...that's a whole different animal. You want at least 200 yards of 15lb braid on a reel...but I feel much better having 300 yards of 20lb braid.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
05-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Great! I'm looking for spinning combo. Should be this one.

(08-19-2012 02:42 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Get this for $60 and you will not have to look for a replacement for at least 10 years if you take care of your gear.

http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-Trion-GX...904/148112

Pflueger® Trion® GX-7 Spinning Rod and Reel Combo

I would suggest the PFLTIONGX70COMB...7' rod, Medium action, 6-12lbs.

You used the reel on the bowfin...and that was also the reel I caught the bonefish with. The rod is just as nice.

Tried, tested and true. When my rod or reel finally dies, I'll replace it with another. I've been using this since I was 18...I'm 30 now. This combo has caught me a lot of fish. Lots of battle scars (scratches, dings and paint chips) on the reel, rod is just cherry. Still going strong.