You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newbe confused about baits / equipments
04-30-2012, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2012 12:22 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
RE: Newbe confused about baits / equipments
(04-29-2012 11:00 PM)andre Wrote:  Another day at Togood Pond.. besides a guy catching 4 carps (small ones), today I got skunked again... but I took your advice... I went for a hike along the river.. and for my surprise I saw a huge trout near the river split and a huge largemounth bass near the "beaver dam"

I hope I can catch something soon
Smile
now a quick question.... is it OK to use fish atractant on spoon baits? how exactly do you guys use spoons?

You'll catch something soon, don't worry. And all the time leading up to it will make it sweeter and sweeter.

Did you see which bait the guy catching carp was using?

Nice job spotting the bass and trout! Good to know that there're some great fish in the water still. Smile

For spoons the attractant will likely wash off. If you use hooks covered in feathers/fluff it'll stick better:

[Image: image_4435.jpg]

MikeH mentioned that in this article: http://fishontoronto.com/get-your-winter-wobble-on

To change hooks you'll need a pair of split ring pliers, under $10 from walmart/fishing store etc.

[Image: 496.jpg]

When I fish with spoons I get stuck a lot on the bottom, especially the heavier ones. You need to retrieve them slow enough that they're not spinning, they are supposed to just wobble side-to-side. But not too slow so they don't get stuck on the bottom.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MichaelAngelo for this post:
andre (04-30-2012)
04-30-2012, 10:28 AM
(04-30-2012 12:21 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Did you see which bait the guy catching carp was using?

He was using live worms, but he got the carps at the huge wood bridge...

(04-30-2012 12:21 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  When I fish with spoons I get stuck a lot on the bottom, especially the heavier ones. You need to retrieve them slow enough that they're not spinning, they are supposed to just wobble side-to-side. But not too slow so they don't get stuck on the bottom.

That's a real problem. I used the spoon for the first time yesterday, just to try and see how it works.... but it got stuck on something below the water...

I though you could use this with a floater or something like that to avoid getting stuck.....
Find all posts by this user
04-30-2012, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2012 10:00 PM by MikeH.)
Take a look at some of the weedless spoons next time you're near a Canadian tire. I have several of the Northland ones, the action is pretty good, nice side to side sway at low speeds.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/...?locale=en

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/...?locale=en

Adding a home made line twitcher to your rod will help with the action a lot!

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
05-02-2012, 12:06 PM
(04-30-2012 09:58 PM)MikeH Wrote:  Adding a home made line twitcher to your rod will help with the action a lot!

You can use your finger as well. While you're reeling pinch the line against the rod.

[Image: linedancer_tips.gif]

This is a great way to linedance Tongue

05-02-2012, 12:08 PM
(04-30-2012 10:28 AM)andre Wrote:  I though you could use this with a floater or something like that to avoid getting stuck.....

While reeling you should keep the rod tip low so that the spoon runs as straight as possible. Using a floater would negate this benefit.

I've never tried it though, so I'm not sure if it'll prevent the proper action or not.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MichaelAngelo for this post:
andre (05-02-2012)
05-02-2012, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 12:29 PM by andre.)
(05-02-2012 12:08 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  While reeling you should keep the rod tip low so that the spoon runs as straight as possible. Using a floater would negate this benefit.

I've never tried it though, so I'm not sure if it'll prevent the proper action or not.

Well, it seems I have a LOT to learn! Tongue

I am still looking for a kind of book that I can use to identify the fish... I got some pictures in the Ontario Fishing booklet, but I would like to get more info... if you guys have, please let me know.

AAAND just correcting one of my previous post where I said I spotted a bass... well it wasn't a bass... Tongue it was a pike! for sure.... I do remember the white marks all over the fish's body.

Reading and learning Wink
Find all posts by this user
05-02-2012, 01:18 PM
(05-02-2012 12:26 PM)andre Wrote:  I am still looking for a kind of book that I can use to identify the fish... I got some pictures in the Ontario Fishing booklet, but I would like to get more info... if you guys have, please let me know.

See attached

.pdf  Fish_Id_back_fr2004.pdf (Size: 1.76 MB / Downloads: 60)

Regards,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
05-02-2012, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 01:40 PM by MuskieBait.)
Another important ID book, which is often overlooked, is the baitfish primer.

Not all minnows are legal to use. Some of them, like the alewife and rudd, are invasive species and it is illegal to use as bait. Other species, like cutlip minnow, silver shiner and redside dace, are threatened or endangered and cannot be used as bait.

Learn to tell the difference between native sculpin species and darter species from invasive round gobies. Native sculpin species are important food items for native fish (and also an important part of the ecosystem), while invasive round gobies can be destructive (although I often debate that point). Just because it is small and look goby like does not mean it should be squashed under your foot!

Please take a look at the link below and take note.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/regions/central...ex-eng.htm

As a general good practice, if you caught something and you don't know what it is, it should ALWAYS be released back to the SAME water where you caught it. If it is native, it always belongs in that water. If it is invasive, it was already in that water. If it is threatened or endangered, it should always be released back into the water. If the fish was out of season, you do not risk poaching and a fine. If the fish has a size limit, again, you do not rish poaching and a fine. As such, it is NEVER a bad practice releasing fish you do not recognize it. If you have a camera, take a clear picture before you release so you can go home and identify it (and so in the future you will then be able to recognize it).

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
05-02-2012, 01:38 PM
(05-02-2012 12:06 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(04-30-2012 09:58 PM)MikeH Wrote:  Adding a home made line twitcher to your rod will help with the action a lot!

You can use your finger as well. While you're reeling pinch the line against the rod.

[Image: linedancer_tips.gif]

This is a great way to linedance Tongue

Be sure to carry some bandaids if you are using your finger!

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
05-02-2012, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 03:47 PM by OldTimer.)
(05-02-2012 12:26 PM)andre Wrote:  I am still looking for a kind of book that I can use to identify the fish...

more:

I dug around a bit - This link is new to me but looks like a real keeper.........

http://www.ontariofishes.ca/home.htm

Edit - Other than that a book I would recommend - if you can find one - is titled "Fishes of Ontario" by H.H. MacKay - this hard cover book was published by the Fish & Wildlife Branch of Ontario's Lands and Forests department in 1963 with a reprint in 1969. ..... Possibly try your local library.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
andre (05-02-2012)