You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newbe confused about baits / equipments
04-17-2012, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2012 10:00 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
RE: Newbe confused about baits / equipments
It's amazing what fish will bite sometimes, I dropped my rig into a small pack of perch on the islands and they attacked my sinker 0.0 hahah

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MichaelAngelo for this post:
andre (04-17-2012)
04-17-2012, 10:49 AM
(04-17-2012 02:05 AM)bettercallsaul Wrote:  
(04-17-2012 01:10 AM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  
(04-17-2012 12:02 AM)bettercallsaul Wrote:  
(04-16-2012 11:43 PM)andre Wrote:  [quote='MuskieBait' pid='1221' dateline='1334611433']

You can always depend on worms for multi-species action...everything will eat a worm...panfish, bass, pike, trout, carp...even had a spawning salmon gulp down a whole nightcrawler...

What about fake worm? how good are they?

I got a pack of this one, but I haven't tried yet... can you guys give me a hint on which gulp! products I should put my money? They have a pretty decent rebate on all their products... 5 - 8 bucks cash back, depending on the product.

I caught a bass on a cheap fake worm before, and I did really well using YUM stickbaits (forgot the name)

Dingers

ding ding ding

Dingers work great. LPT.. use them at the right time fish won't say no.
Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jeff Christian for this post:
andre (04-17-2012)
04-17-2012, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2012 10:34 PM by andre.)
Thanks a lot for all your replies folks, they really help me to understand how to "start" on this new hobby...

Ok, it seems I have the correct bait for that, I have fake worms from Yum / Gulp... they should do the job....

But another question is... how to hook the hook / bait / sinker.... is there a kind of "rule of thumb"?

I am not sure if the way it should be set depends on the type of fish being catch....

Another question (sorry for so many questions), is there an easy / proper way to unhook the hook from the fishes' mount?
04-18-2012, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2012 02:54 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
(04-17-2012 10:34 PM)andre Wrote:  But another question is... how to hook the hook / bait / sinker.... is there a kind of "rule of thumb"?

I am not sure if the way it should be set depends on the type of fish being catch....

Another question (sorry for so many questions), is there an easy / proper way to unhook the hook from the fishes' mount?

How to tie together the hook/bait/sinker... now that's a hairy animal! There're infinite possibilities for a nearly infinite number of water scenarios. I'd start by simply tying your hook on the end of your line(improved clinch knot or Palomar knot)

Improved clinch:
http://www.animatedknots.com/improvedcli...dknots.com

Palomar (very popular favorite):
http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/ind...dknots.com

Then about a foot up the line, pinch on a split shot sinker. Pinch it lightly so you can slide it up and down, but it'll stay in place. This way you can adjust it if you want!

With this simple 2-piece set-up you can take a bobber on/off if you want to fish the surface or bottom.

I'm pretty confident that almost everybody has started fishing this way.

Now in terms of rigging the worm to the hook there're many different ways. You can either thread it through and leave an end hanging off to wiggle freely or you can pierce it along the middle once or twice and let it dangle. Or any combination of those Tongue

andre (04-20-2012)
04-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Take a look at some of these "rigs" here.

http://fishontoronto.com/drop-shot-wacky...d-and-more

It should give you some ideas, and might generate specific questions that the guys can "tackle" (no pun intended-honest!) for you....

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to MikeH for this post:
andre (04-20-2012), MichaelAngelo (04-18-2012)
04-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey,

Learn the clinch or palomar knot - grab the gear you do own - get some worms - go to a spot you've seen others fishing and give it a whirl.

You'll learn lots from this trial and error, and by watching others fish........... - to find a "system" that YOU are comfortable with and that produces results for YOU.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
andre (04-20-2012)
04-28-2012, 02:08 AM
Well, what can I say... I tried two days in a row at Togood Pond.... no success...
I tried both approach... first, corn...I threw some corn near the shore... just to try the luck attracting something..... then I put my hook with some kernel near.... nothing for half an hour... no fish at all.

Then, I tried fake worm.... no success at all

It seems I am in a bad luck!
04-28-2012, 03:56 AM
(04-28-2012 02:08 AM)andre Wrote:  Well, what can I say... I tried two days in a row at Togood Pond.... no success...
I tried both approach... first, corn...I threw some corn near the shore... just to try the luck attracting something..... then I put my hook with some kernel near.... nothing for half an hour... no fish at all.

Don't worry dude, it's not bad luck. I can't count how many times I've been skunked (jargon for a day without fish). Fishing involves a lot of variables and they don't always line up in the angler's favor.

Next time you're in Markham I'd love to meet up and fish. I live relatively close to Toogood. I haven't caught anything there either, but a friend of mine did with his hands LOL (a sick white sucker). So don't feed bad Tongue

andre (04-28-2012)
04-28-2012, 01:59 PM
(04-28-2012 03:56 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(04-28-2012 02:08 AM)andre Wrote:  Well, what can I say... I tried two days in a row at Togood Pond.... no success...

Don't worry dude, it's not bad luck. I can't count how many times I've been skunked (jargon for a day without fish). Fishing involves a lot of variables and they don't always line up in the angler's favor.

Next time you're in Markham I'd love to meet up and fish. I live relatively close to Toogood. I haven't caught anything there either, but a friend of mine did with his hands LOL (a sick white sucker). So don't feed bad Tongue

I am pretty much in Markham everyday. I will be trying ToGood / Milne Dam wednesdays and mondays after work (I work at IBM Canada) because my is taking English classes until 9PM Big Grin

BTW, I am heading to ToGood Pond now, feel free to join me Shy
04-29-2012, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2012 11:10 PM by andre.)
(04-28-2012 03:56 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  

Another day at Togood Pond.. besides a guy catching 4 carps (small ones), today I got skunked again... but I took your advice... I went for a hike along the river.. and for my surprise I saw a huge trout near the river split and a huge largemounth bass near the "beaver dam"

I hope I can catch something soon
Smile
now a quick question.... is it OK to use fish atractant on spoon baits? how exactly do you guys use spoons?