You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Some questions about tackle and how to use it
09-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Some questions about tackle and how to use it
Ok so after tonnes of reading, I just wanted to ask some questions...

I know one spot where there are bass because I see a lot of imitation frog lures hung up on the powerlines above it Tongue So, how do you fish fake frog lures like a Hula Popper? Do you just cast it out to the weedy areas and pull on the rod to make the lure "hop" around as you reel it in slowly?

Jigs... I have seen some with curly grub lures, "feathers", etc...Do you just cast these out until it hits the bottom and then just tug at it and let it drop back down again as you slowly reel it in (sort of the same idea as the frog lure above but then under the water)?

Other lures that look like fake fish or minnows... I know that the way the scoop is at the front makes the lure do different things like dive down and stuff, but do you just basically cast these lures out on their own (with no weights on them) and then you steadily reel them back in?

Spinners...Is all the fish is attracted to is the flashiness and rattle of it? It will just grab it with out any kind of fake or real bait on it? Do you need any weights on the spinner line or does it basically stay down mid level on it's own when you pull it through the water on retrieve?

Leader lines...Is this those little lengths of wire line with the clips on them? If so, this one confused me a bit, so I wanted to know if I have it right now...I was always curious as to why people were talking about leader lines having like a __ lb weight limit when they were attaching it to fishing line that had a much smaller weight limit, but is the weight limit on leader line just lbs of pressure from fish with big choppers, so that when they clamp down on the bait/lure, that their teeth jaws don't snap the line?

Thanks for answering my questions!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2013, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2013 03:26 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: Some questions about tackle and how to use it
Yes.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-24-2013, 04:07 PM
(09-24-2013 02:17 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  I know one spot where there are bass because I see a lot of imitation frog lures hung up on the powerlines above it Tongue So, how do you fish fake frog lures like a Hula Popper? Do you just cast it out to the weedy areas and pull on the rod to make the lure "hop" around as you reel it in slowly?

Just because there are lures thier does not mean there are fish Wink

Generally fogs are reeled in with a "popping retrieve" that gives the lure a frog like hoping action; Usually enough to give it some actions. Gentle is better; Frogs tend to work better in the spring; Come fall frogs start to become more scarce.

Check out youtube they have some demonstrations.

(09-24-2013 02:17 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  Jigs... I have seen some with curly grub lures, "feathers", etc...Do you just cast these out until it hits the bottom and then just tug at it and let it drop back down again as you slowly reel it in (sort of the same idea as the frog lure above but then under the water)?

Generally that is how I use them but you can also use them with a constant retrieve. The tug should be gentel you want the lure to bounce up 6-12 inches not 3-4 feet; How hard you work the line will depnd if you have mono or braid.

(09-24-2013 02:17 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  Other lures that look like fake fish or minnows... I know that the way the scoop is at the front makes the lure do different things like dive down and stuff, but do you just basically cast these lures out on their own (with no weights on them) and then you steadily reel them back in?

Generally yes. Each type of lure has a method to use. Some rise, sink to stay neutral on a retrieve and have different effects. Generally you can either rip it (reel it in quickly), reel it with moderate to slow speed, you can add start and stops or twitches to give it some action. Again you want to move inches not feet.

(09-24-2013 02:17 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  Spinners...Is all the fish is attracted to is the flashiness and rattle of it? It will just grab it with out any kind of fake or real bait on it? Do you need any weights on the spinner line or does it basically stay down mid level on it's own when you pull it through the water on retrieve?

No wieghts generally required; There are different spinners for different depths; You should reel in with either a fast or moderate retrieve; Sound and flash are the key elements that trigger the bite.

(09-24-2013 02:17 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  Leader lines...Is this those little lengths of wire line with the clips on them? If so, this one confused me a bit, so I wanted to know if I have it right now...I was always curious as to why people were talking about leader lines having like a __ lb weight limit when they were attaching it to fishing line that had a much smaller weight limit, but is the weight limit on leader line just lbs of pressure from fish with big choppers, so that when they clamp down on the bait/lure, that their teeth jaws don't snap the line?!

Generally a leader is a line fixed to your main line via a swivel. This allows you to do some things:

- Have a different line at the end of your rig than you main line. you can rig fluro carbon as a leader on on a mono/braid mainline.
- you an use the swivel of the leader to be the bottom stop on a slip float. Or use it it stop your weight (link an egg sinker) at your swivel, allowing the leader to drift in the current.
- you can use a wire leader for toothy fish such as Pike or Musky.
- Generally they the pound weight of the leader is less than or equal to the strength of the main line; This will alow the leader to snap before the mainline preventing you from loosing terminal tackle such as sinkers, floats and swivels.

The weight of leader/main line generally deals with the weigh or force the target species of fish you are trying to get weighs. you also need to compensate for the additional force of getting unhooked from snags or the weight of the lures being cast,
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to zippyFX for this post:
sonicsink (09-26-2013)
09-25-2013, 09:16 AM
If you want detailed help, try searching youtube for techniques on how to use a certain lure.
Youtube has everything.
09-26-2013, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2013 06:05 AM by OldTimer.)
Yes YouTube is good.

...........And many lure manufacturers have use instructions posted on their corporate websites.

More from OSF here:

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...-Lures-101

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...in-a-river

Knowing how to fish a lure is good............... knowing WHEN & WHERE to fish a lure is even more important.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
sonicsink (09-26-2013)
09-26-2013, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2013 04:40 PM by sonicsink.)
(09-24-2013 04:07 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  
(09-24-2013 02:17 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  I know one spot where there are bass because I see a lot of imitation frog lures hung up on the powerlines above it Tongue So, how do you fish fake frog lures like a Hula Popper? Do you just cast it out to the weedy areas and pull on the rod to make the lure "hop" around as you reel it in slowly?

Just because there are lures thier does not mean there are fish Wink

LOL Oh we've seen them there, 4 big bass were just swimming out in a sunny spot, but they just weren't biting that day. Everytime we cast to that spot (with worms) we would scare the crap out of them and they would dive back under the lily pads. After a few seconds they would come back out and we were literally bouncing the worms infront of their faces but they would not bite. We went to a differentr spot and found the same thing was happening with some pumpkinseeds. Just not a good fishing day that day LOL

zippyFX Wrote:
(09-24-2013 02:17 PM)sonicsink Wrote:  Jigs... I have seen some with curly grub lures, "feathers", etc...Do you just cast these out until it hits the bottom and then just tug at it and let it drop back down again as you slowly reel it in (sort of the same idea as the frog lure above but then under the water)?

Generally that is how I use them but you can also use them with a constant retrieve. The tug should be gentel you want the lure to bounce up 6-12 inches not 3-4 feet; How hard you work the line will depnd if you have mono or braid.

Speaking of mono or braid...is there a specific reason for using one over the other? I was at the store today and picked up some jigs and grub lures and was checking out the lines at the same time...is it just personal preference?

Oh and unfortunatelly I'm stuck on dial-up where I live, so I can't watch YouTube videos Sad
09-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Braid is much stronger and is more sensitive...
09-27-2013, 03:19 PM
DIAL-UP?!?!??!
09-27-2013, 03:38 PM
There are many places in Canada where dial up is it as far as hard wire hookups go.......... and a standard cell wont work either.

See you on the river.
09-27-2013, 09:28 PM
(09-27-2013 03:19 PM)ST_ShoreFisher Wrote:  DIAL-UP?!?!??!

Ug. Yes, to say it's terrible is an understatement. These days everything online is made for high speed so we've been left in the dark. My online social life has dwindled to almost nothing because our connection just isn't fast enough. We're out in the country so the big phone companies won't service us way out here, and alternative companies like Explornet and the like can't get a signal here because we are surrounded by trees/forest so the signals from their towers can't get through.