You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How to Choose a Rod
08-21-2018, 07:51 AM
RE: How to Choose a Rod
That is definately a nice setup you picked up! It will last you years and is definately versitile.

Without a reverse lock button you will either have to leave the bail open or lower the drag. I am not sure that the reverse lock is not meant to be snapped on while a fish is on, doing so may impact the gears in the reel. Not sure you want to do this with a such a nice reel.... Sounds like you are looking for a baitrunner/baitfeeder reel with two drag settings that was ment to be worked this way.

About your line comment, played properly a fish will always exert less pressure on the line than it's weight. the rod will take a lot of the effective force and if the drag setting is correct, the drag will let out line for those big bursts that could break the line. Remember to not lock the drag. This will definately break the line on large fish.

Rember the goal is not to reel in the fish as quick as possible. The goal is too use the equipment to tire out the fish so landing it becomes easy. You want to try to maintain control but you need to let the equipment work for you. That long rod will help alot with big fish.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to zippyFX for this post:
spiderman6 (08-21-2018)
08-21-2018, 09:26 AM
I agree with Zippy that you have yourself a nice setup now, but I still have some questions about your method. When you are carp fishing, are you holding the rod in your hands the whole time, or resting it in/against something until you get a bite? Personally, I close the bail and I set my drag very light so the fish doesn't feel much resistance on the initial bite. I then SLOWLY increase the drag as needed but so far have never needed to go to maximum. You don't need to be in a rush as you have plenty of line. Take your time and don't make careless mistakes. Remember that braid has no stretch and if your drag is set at maximum from the start, there's really nowhere for the shock to go. You'll likely end up ripping the hook out of the fishes mouth or maybe even snapping your rod. It is as much about technique as it is about gear. I've caught carp on an ultralight setup using 4lb fluoro line and I know lots of people fly-fish for them, and their line is nowhere near the 50 lb you're using. Slow and steady wins the race.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Fossil Fish for this post:
spiderman6 (08-21-2018)
08-21-2018, 07:34 PM
(08-21-2018 09:26 AM)Fossil Fish Wrote:  When you are carp fishing, are you holding the rod in your hands the whole time, or resting it in/against something until you get a bite? Personally, I close the bail and I set my drag very light so the fish doesn't feel much resistance on the initial bite. I then SLOWLY increase the drag as needed but so far have never needed to go to maximum.

i usually stay on guard and hold the rod all time. i am not sure whether the fish pulls out the line through the drag setting/adjustment or reverse button. i think my drag was too tight and reverse was locked so the fish snapped the line in at least 2 cases. i am learning...
08-22-2018, 10:16 PM
hmm... may I ask where the line was broken? Was it anywhere close to the hook or any other knot? There should be a reason. In my opinion your original line was more then sufficient to land the fish.
By the way for next time try to pick the line within the rod recommended range. The rod you bought is rated 15-25 meaning lines within this pound test range will likely break before the rod itself under extra stress. With the 50 pound line you bought already simply keep your drag just tight enough to set the hook. After you set the hook adjust drag as needed.
08-24-2018, 12:10 AM
(08-22-2018 10:16 PM)cutuzov Wrote:  hmm... may I ask where the line was broken? Was it anywhere close to the hook or any other knot? There should be a reason. In my opinion your original line was more then sufficient to land the fish.
By the way for next time try to pick the line within the rod recommended range. The rod you bought is rated 15-25 meaning lines within this pound test range will likely break before the rod itself under extra stress. With the 50 pound line you bought already simply keep your drag just tight enough to set the hook. After you set the hook adjust drag as needed.

it broke between the hook and sinker. so just above the hook.
08-24-2018, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2018 08:10 AM by zippyFX.)
(08-24-2018 12:10 AM)spiderman6 Wrote:  it broke between the hook and sinker. so just above the hook.

Another rigging option in this case is a threeway rig. Though better line would help, also verify that they sinker is cutting the line. This is for catfishing, adjust hook sizes and lead weights for your purposes.

[Image: 0vjkL0x.jpg]
08-26-2018, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2018 10:30 AM by cutuzov.)
Here is the beginners guide for carp hair rig. Fair warning the narration is little annoying.
Carp Hair Rig